Saturday, January 21, 2006

No Zilla

Sorry to have to write this one but I'm sure they'll understand. If you're thinking of downloading the new version of Mozilla Firefox - that's 1.5 - DON'T!! It's pants. It's knackered, wrecked and broken. Stick with 1.07 until they sort it out.

Don't even think about trying it unless you've saved the 1.07 install files and kept all your favourites and your profile and other stuff I don't understand anything about, so you can re-install 1.07 when the new thing goes tits-up. All I do know is that Sharon said yes to an update and I've not heard the end of it. She's lost everything that makes Firefox a dream to use. You must have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat installed and it won't work with gmail. She's lost all her bookmarks and that's a disaster. She's not alone; the Mozilla forums are teeming with horror stories. It's a huge shot in the foot for them but...

...I do wonder whether it was only a matter of time. Once you throw things open to every nutter on the web to tinkle with then you're asking for trouble. Drupal is a maze of unintelligible bollocks, only comprehensible to crisp-eating nerds, not the people it was meant to benefit. Open source software developers are almost certainly French with that unending urge to overcomplicate things. The old adage "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is a cliché for no other reason other than it holds true. By all means improve certain little things along the way but to release a huge new version with so many elements that could possibly go wrong is plain daft. Big shame.

1 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

I have had no trouble with the upgrade. I have lost my bookmarks before on other mozilla upgrades so I always do a backup of the bookmarks every few days. When I went to 1.5 firefox It saved my bookmarks even though I was ready to have to re-do them with my backup. The tabs thingy in the newest version was a little confusing so I turnned it off. I was having trouble with Windows Media Player prior to the 1.5 upgrade and now it works well.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with it.

2:21 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home