Friday, February 24, 2006

Making Mischief

Very few things in life offer as much satisfaction as the sight of bigots getting it in the chads. With that in mind I have been setting a couple of things in motion. Only small things, mind, but it will be interesting to see what happens. In the current climate of course, with lots of warbling about freedom of speech and expression, this could even take on a little life of its own.

Nationalism is a word that grates harshly. There's nothing wrong with countries; they were always going to happen because of linguistic and geographical divides and the need for people to belong to things other than gyms and floral art clubs. And somebody has to win the Ashes. We all know where it goes wrong though and I just want to make friends with people who speak differently and eat more savoury food than me.

Forgive me for not directly mentioning the name here of the organisation that vexes me so painfully. I've already written of them earlier in this blog and for some reason I seem to have the knack of getting well placed in searches, both in the blogosphere and the www as a whole. Mr Bravenet's notes revealed that at the time I mentioned them and their vile leader before, I was finding myself selected rather too often for my liking. Trivial though it ultimately is, I'd rather they didn't get wind of who was responsible for bothering them. Them being the "Bee Enn Pee".

Earlier I was researching something and went to their site to see if the Bee Enn Pee had a proper contact address rather than just a PO Box. I actually thought that because they've published "the cartoons" I could help some of the more truculent members of our society find another object for their splenetic ventings. After all, the other publishers all had public addresses so it was a public service sort of thing, not an incitement, perish the thought. Anyway, the homepage of their website features, alongside their logo, some pictures of supposedly iconic British images, culled from the four provinces. Giant's Causeway for Northern Ireland, some sweet young children wrapped in a cross of St George flag for England and, these are what intrigued me, the Millenium Stadium for Wales and the Forth Rail Bridge for Scotland.

Presumably the children are spawn of party members (what an exciting life they've got in front of them) and the Giant's Causeway is a geographical feature so no problem there. The other two are privately owned though and I wondered if the owners knew that images of their property had been appropriated and used to publicise this overt and offensive nationalism and whether they were happy with it. So I emailed the Millennium Stadium but have not yet had a response, I suspect because they're a touch busy at the moment with the League Cup Final this weekend (sorry sponsors, I can't remember). But Network Rail were very friendly. I telephoned their community affairs department and they were concerned enough to pass the matter on further up the line. I'll let you know what happens.

3 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

You are an exceptional word smith! Good reading every time!

2:23 am  
Blogger Asian Catholic Teen- Andrew Z. said...

Well, let's refer to the part of the Old Testament in which Moses had to deal with the pharoah of Eygpt and his magicians. The magicians copied Moses's given power to some extent, but in the end, they still failed to keep their stick-snakes from being swallowed by the snake that was created through God's divine power. Miracles are done in the name of the Lord while magic has to resort to false copies.

Also, How many people claim to be magicians? Quite a lot. (I'm asian so I know that there are quite a lot of so-called "sorcerers") How many people can perform divine miracles through the Will of God? Not much right? Miracles are rare and needs the permission of Our Lord.

Also, you might want to read "An Exorcist tells his story" by Father Gabriele Amorth. There are true cases in which when people went to sorcerers and received full-blown curses.

Oh, one thing. Why are miracles recorded and not magic?

3:36 am  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

"Further up the line".
I bet it gets held up by sheep on the track just outside Wilmslow.

8:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home