Thursday, April 27, 2006

Loved up

I have been inactive for over a week now. This is down to a combination of block; wasting energy on fearsomely long comments that would have been better served as subjects for this end of the operation; work-type stuff and a certain amount of self-preservation. This will change for there is a new air of confidence about chez nous.

Today we went to Nantwich to audition an accountant. That is of no consequence other than Sharon got caught short as we parked the car and the public toilets in the car park weren't responding to coin of the realm, remaining steadfastly locked. The helpful parking attendant suggested the Civic Hall across the car park would be open because there was an antiques fair on and there would be relief available inside. We made it in time and as we had almost an hour to spend before our appointment we browsed. Sharon and antiques is a dangerous combination at the best of times, especially when there is blue and white china and goodness knows what else about. I don't know quite how the next bit happened but there is always a certain amount of second-hand tom about at these places and we just happened to be staring at some. In short, the freshly filled wallet was quickly emptied and a piece of shiny stuff now sits around the third finger of Sharon's left hand. Yes, it's taken a few years but she is now my betrothed. Vicus, I'm doing the right thing at last.

My only regret is that I didn't use the full facilities available to me in the Civic Hall in order to perform the ceremony, namely one of South Cheshire's largest stages and a hall full of bored stallholders. Hindsight, eh? Would have been useless without a camera, as well.

I may not have pockets full of diamonds but today I feel I have riches beyond compare.

14 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Frontier Editor said...

I know it doesn't sound like much, but my most sincere congratulations to both of you!

3:00 am  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

I'm filling up.
Not coming to any fucking weddings, but.

6:10 am  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Good lord. I've just found your blog (on account of Sharon announcing the happy event and indicating that your proposal had something to do with Tom's flirting, which naturally sent me scurrying over here to see what was going on) and it's jolly good fun.

Delighted for both of you. I should watch that Sharon, though: she knows who Jose Mourinho is because she fancies him like mad, as do 99.9% of the UK's female population. Even my mum said he was 'dishy' and she hasn't commented on a man's appearance in my presence for as long as I can remember. Which is 53 years.

Me, I'm only interested in him because he got my team to the top of the premiership (twice, apparently). Sorry about that, but all things must pass, as George Harrison used to point out. Even Alex Ferguson. Besides, Drogba's been rather well-behaved recently.

Enough of this football. I can't wait for a full report on the wedding. Please drink lot of champagne and dance in an embarrassing fashion.

10:36 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Mr Frontier Ed, many thanks.

VS, you will be invited, filled up with rum and black and left to stew in the corner where you'll occasionally call people "my mate" and point at the ceiling. Every wedding needs one.

Mark, welcome at last. I wasn't aware you hadn't visited before. I'm not sure my mum would know who he is. I think she gave up commenting after she met my dad. It would probably be something like this: "That Chelsea manager's a bit of alright, I'd be his libero any time." "Going up B & Q to get a mower part, bye."

11:11 am  
Blogger Geoff said...

By a happy coincidence my mum was looking at antique rings on ebay the other night.

She used to fancy Frannie Lee the bog roll king.

Er, congratulations.

12:57 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Thank you Geoff.

Franny Lee must have been one of the least athletic looking sportsmen, surely. Did he have other characteristics I'm unaware of?

1:02 pm  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

I'm back. Again. And I've just noticed a Rory Gallagher thing going on here. Jolly good thing, too. It just about makes up for your football team.

1:32 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

Congratulations, although I hate offering my congratulations to anyone as it goes against type.

I didn't know that the mother in law fancied Frannie Lee. Dear God. Did she have a hankering for Ralphe Coates as well? I get the idea that she likes "Big Phil" Scolari too, as he's supposed to be like some bloke off Hill Street Blues that she had the hots for ...

2:00 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Mark, you're welcome. The football team - who cares! Cricket season's well underway and the mighty Super Kent are well on track for relegation from the top flight already. It is apparent that any team I follow is destined never to achieve success on the cricket field.

Followers of Rory Gallagher are always very welcome here and I know there are some lurkers who come and spy on me occasionally but are too shy to show their faces. They needn't be because I know they are educated enough to be able to use words confidently. Show yourselves!

2:27 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Betty, life is a never ending voyage of discovery, we all know that. Ralph Coates one day, Alan Gilzean the next.

2:43 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

A word of caution to you Richard if I may. I fear if Jose comes by you won't see Sharon for dust. I am seriously worried that she is only after your money. Never forget that 24 year old blond bit that took the 80 year old billionaire for all he had not so long ago.

8:50 pm  
Blogger Sharon J said...

Ay-up. Who's this Ozzie bloke? Is the 29th at the Limelight?

Tom. Will you please keep your trap shut and go back to the gate? I will not risk having to give the ring back.

9:30 pm  
Blogger Kyahgirl said...

congratulations to both of you!! :-)

ahhhh, love in the blogsphere, it just warms the cockles of the heart eh?

11:43 pm  
Blogger The Aunt said...

I've only just arrived as a lurker but congrats'

10:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home