Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I've got a dongle and I'm gonna use it


Earlier this year I upgraded my mobile telephone to this one. It's a fine looking piece of kit and does lots of things I don't understand. I have really only used telephones until now to talk through and to send the odd text message so being able to remotely control the space shuttle or access the internet isn't of much use to me, even if I'd had the use of a screen barely more than an inch square that is of such stupendous quality it makes our telly look crap (which it is).

What was attractive to me at the time was that the beast came with a data cable through which I could download the photographs taken using its pretty high quality camera to my computer. Usually one has to buy these at exorbitant cost, rendering the camera an unnecessary extra, as it was on my last phone. I am warming to the idea of the telephone with camera/vice-versa as there have been myriad times I've wished to take a hurried snap of something transient but been prevented from doing so either by batteries running out or leaving the damn thing at home. Which is what we did at the weekend.

We had booked a night in a hotel in Llandudno with a view to driving round the pretty bits of north Wales the next day. Halfway there we realised we'd left the camera at home but I said it was OK as I had my telephone (what a bizarre conversation to have envisaged several years ago). The only problem here was that I had tried to connect the thing to my PC via the data cable not a few days before but none of the drivers supplied by the mad doctors of Samsung appeared to work. Windows XP kept threatening me with death each time I inserted the disk and even the ones I downloaded from the Samsung site were useless. Then I had an idea. The telephone is Bluetooth enabled so I could send pictures via that to my PC instead. My PC isn't Bluetooth enabled though: I would need a dongle. This is basically a Bluetooth aerial on a USB connector and costs a couple of quid so before we left I ordered one for our return. It came this morning and as you can see I am now playing like a child instead of working. I would like to reassure readers that the wind caused the curious billowing effect with my shirt. Oh yes.

15 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger krusty the baker said...

Two cracking posts - what piccies, and it isn't raining!! The smell of fresh air, beautiful. Funny you wrote about regaining smell apres baccy, I was just sat here thinking how good it is that the house doesn't stink of said vice, and especially the furniture.

Any reason to celebrate is good - hope you had some champagne.

7:46 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

No, it wasn't raining, in fact it was extremely hot. I think it was still about 25 degrees when we got back around 9. The worst thing about getting your sense of smell back is that now everything smells of dog.

8:14 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

You fat bastard!

8:09 am  
Blogger tom909 said...

Sorry, Richardf, didn't mean it. It's just good to see someone else who'se been eating as many pies as me.

8:33 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Yes you did, but it's ok. I'm trying hard not to eat the pies and have foregone crust many times in favour of salad. My weakness is snacks and stuff, especially Bombay mix, and also the fact that Sharon is able to eat absolutely anything without it having any effect on her. If she wants to gorge on donner kebab or lard pizza, she can. It's mighty cruel as we have a couple of very nice curry shops here.

8:43 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

I send pics to my pc by sending them to my email addy. Works like a charm!

Is that you in the pictures?

2:59 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

I've not worked out how to do that yet and it costs me money as well. It is indeed me, Pamela.

3:15 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

Richard, now Pammy's seen your picture you are in deep trouble. I've spent the last three hours trying to explain to my missus that Pammy is only a cyber stalker, and that I don't really love her desperately.

4:16 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What do you mean you don't love me desperately? That's now what you said when you called the other night.

You've cut me, Tom. I'm wounded.

6:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, I forgot to tell you something Richard. Love the beard!

6:19 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

There she goes Richard. Now you're in trouble.

6:46 am  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Oh rats. Now I've got to go out and buy a Bluetooth laptop. Damn you, Richard. Yet another upgrade.

12:27 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

But that's the point Mark, you don't have to. Pay attention: you slip your dongle in the slot and away you go, effortlessly transferring the seeds of your labour to a safer place. Easy.

3:01 pm  
Blogger Carmenzta said...

You guys always talking about your "dongle." Sheesh give it a rest.

4:18 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Says she, whose last post was about pigeon sex.

7:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home