Sunday, September 24, 2006

Women

I don't care what you say, only women could do this.

The leader of the opposition faction in this house, along with her personal private secretary, has been visiting in Salford, approx 35 miles north of here. Shortly before 5 I received a text to say she was on her way back. Just after Corrie started at 7.30 I texted back to enquire just where she'd got to. The reply said that they'd be late as they were in Birmingham. Birmingham is a further 50 miles south of here. Hmm. Let's just run through this again: Salford, M6 J21a; Crewe M6 J16; Stafford J14; Cannock J12; Walsall J10 Birmingham M6 J9 onwards.

The reason? "We ended up talking too much".

17 Vegetable peelings:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A possible unconfirmed siting at Junction 1a on M25

8:12 pm  
Blogger Betty said...

Ahh, same thing happened to me and a friend. We were supposed to meet up with a friend in Ilkley in Yorkshire at midday, but ended up somewhere in Northumbria after missing our exit.

My friend who was driving was having problems in her relationship. I was just being "a good listener". Honest, guv.

8:15 pm  
Blogger tom909 said...

Nice story. I love the way woman talk so much. Do you know they have measured it and it is something like twice as much as men that they talk. Love it!

9:08 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

I don't believe this story. I have never met a woman capable of grasping the concept of "talking too much". Had the reason been that petrol was 2p a litre cheaper in Solihull, it would have made sense.

10:18 pm  
Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

P.S. If you think that she has tired her vocal chords by chatting for 2 or 3 hours, wait till she starts on you after reading this.

10:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have now.

They never made it as far as Solihull and I've just been out to fill the car up because it was running on sludge.

10:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If she does that I'll just point at her green credentials sailing away on a cloud of diesel particulates. I know arguing with a woman is a pointless business at the best of times but she did look fairly contrite when she got back so I think I may well have stolen a bit of the high ground. It won't last but I'll glory in it while it does.

12:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't say "we ended up talking too much". What I said was: "we were busy talking". There's a big difference there. Talking TOO much.... BUSY talking. Yes? Got it? Vicus got it straight away!

Anyway, look on the bright side. I now know LMs views on the LibDem's new taxation policy, why she believes it's important that everybody uses their vote and a whole bunch of other interesting titbits so let's call it 'bonding time'.

11:09 am  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

Forgive my American, but are the J's exits from M6? Is M6 a freeway or interstate like we have here? Are they miles or kilometers apart e.g. from Stafford to Cannock is two miles?

See I can't seem to see the forest for the trees.

12:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jed, the M6 is our longest motorway, I suppose the equivalent of a freeway. It runs from just south of Coventry in the middle of England to just south of the Scottish border. It's the spine of England, connecting most of the major towns and cities on the western side of the country, including my own town of Crewe, just off Junction 16. Js are junctions with major roads so aren't set distances apart. We still measure distance in miles. She had an overshot roundtrip of approximately 80 miles

2:08 am  
Blogger The Mistress said...

You TEXT during Corrie?! Everything stops for me during Corrie. I don't take calls. I don't make calls. Nothing.

1:35 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

OMG that is absofrickinlutely awesome..
but I am not touching that with a ten foot pole.

Thank goodness she didn't have the helicopter that day or she would have been seeing Penguins!

4:05 pm  
Blogger Cherrypie said...

I'm glad Sharon corrected that misapprehension. It was puzzling me too.

I've done this on more than one occasion. I ended up in Liverpool once, at the completely opposite end of the M62 to which I was supposed to be going. I wasn't the one driving on any of the occasions, but I was too busy chatting to notice.

9:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HE, your comment will puzzle me for a good while yet. Sure you were on the right page?

9:17 pm  
Blogger Romeo Morningwood said...

oh sorry mate,

I mean't that fools rush in where angels fear to tread...
to poke sleeping bears in the eye you know..make fun of the ladies propensity to chinwag to the point of distraction...

and the helicopter bit mean't that she would have been flying over Antarctica!

I realised after that Australia has Pengies.

..and this is as clear as mud so I am going to give up...

toodaloo.

3:15 am  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

So that scotches this thing about women being better at multi-tasking than men.

Task 1: drive the car safely.
Task 2: talk.
Task 3: read the roadsigns so you know where you are.

I suppose two out of three is technically multitasking. But it's hardly impressive.

(Ducks)

9:22 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be very careful, Mark. Remember who's got your password at the moment.

11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home