Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Bitching

Mark, this one's for you mate.

I am stressed. It must be cyclic or at least an annual thing. Last year when I started this journal I was stressed to the point where I was taking beta blockers to regulate my thumping heartbeat in order to get a decent night's sleep. I don't take the drugs anymore, I've sort of got used to 4-6 hours sleep a night and now my heart only pounds when I get super-fatigued.

Luckily I can identify the reason for my stress. It's something to do with my income not matching expenditure and requiring the odd 20 grand or so sort out the debts I accumulated a few years back when I had to give up full time employment after Sharon took ill. Factors largely outside my control. Trying to work my way out of debt isn't easy but I'm determined to because I hate the idea of being a burden on anyone. Unlike some.

I know of a couple of people who, over the past few years, have deliberately run up debts of £50,000 or so and then just recently walked away from them. Deliberately ran up debts. On purpose. One of them through operating credit cards while on state benefits; the other because, well I don't really know why, wsuffice to say it looks like it's just as cynical. I hate them. I abhor the attitude of these witless bastards, expecting others to make good after them. The former has already accumulated another set of credit cards and is busy running up a new debt which he fully expects to be serviced by the state or at least in part by everyone else paying inflated APR. Yet he'll be the first c4nt in the queue to complain when he can't get a benefit paid. He's an alcoholic who drives his children around in his Motability car (paid for with state mobility allowance) while pissed. His son is a teenager yet can't even use a knife and fork, a fact his mother blames on his left handedness, not the fact that she was probably too pissed to bother teaching him (it was pointed out to her that Sharon's son, Paul, is quite able to use a knife and fork despite also being left handed and having some quite severe mental impairments). Get this. He's 65 next year and suddenly realised he was going to lose out but because his wife is still just about of child bearing age, he seriously considered having another kid just to get child allowance. It's like something out of a Carla Lane sit com. I didn't laugh at them either (except Butterflies, which wasn't set in the 'Pool so had a head start).

I won't even bother with the other one but it's just as bad in its own way because of the way the system is being worked.

I despair. I really do. I despair even more when I read of this kind of crap. I just don't know what stress is obviously.

6 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Well, you've got to make allowances. Chelsea did get beaten by Tottenham. That stressed me. Not by much (I've supported Chelsea too long) but if I had the requisite 700K spare I suppose I might have been tempted by a bit of high-class cossetting...

Seriously, though - how on EARTH did these people get hold of their credit cards? Especially the second time around? I'm baffled. When I got in trouble I did the right thing, and paid back every penny I could raise. Since then - and despite above average earnings - I've been pretty much unable to apply for credit. I've not had an overdraft in four years.

I'm baffled. Maybe this is the kind of fraud the financial institutions are always whining about, but I just can't see how it happens. Leastways, not more than once per person.

When I'm 65, the last thing I'll want is another child, to claim child benefit. I'll be too busy working to compensate for the lack of pension...

1:58 pm  
Blogger Mark Gamon said...

Anonymous is clearly entering into the spirit of this conversation...

9:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will remove them, thus rendering the latter part of this conversation mysterious.

10:20 am  
Blogger Rog said...

I think you should re-cycle unwanted vegetable peelings and help the environment.

1:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon has been composted

3:59 pm  
Blogger The Aunt said...

I've never understood not wanting to be on the asset side of society's books.

9:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home