Saturday, January 26, 2008

Elephant update

Despite the best efforts of No 1 totla cnut A. Crozier (if I now add the words "is gay" I will have crowds of visitors to this post, believe me. Why folk should want to know whether he prefers baseball to cricket I wouldn't know. If it's ammunition for derision they're after then just being Adam Crozier ought to be enough), Ashford still has one post office. While I was leaving it today, having just wasted a few of our finest pounds on the triple rollover, I happened to bump into Nimby sculptor Oliver Winconek (who was also filling in his dream ticket. We're all human). He thanked me for visiting his blog and also told me that he's been over here, which I think makes him my first celebrity visitor (apart from a world-renowned author). Nimby has been in the news again this past week because following her relocation, she was badly bruised by the vicious weather we've experienced and was, not to put too fine a point on it, wrecked. Sad.

Good news though; Oliver told me that the response to the art has been so positive that Nimby will hopefully be returning, this time made of global warming retarding metal (although probably without the attendant policemen, which I don't think is quite right but hey, let's not complain). Ashford will get a new landmark! What I don't think Oliver realises, because he's still a comparative youngster and hasn't been in the town for too long, is that the location chosen for Nimby's permanent site is within 100 yards of a Shepherd Neame bar/cafe called Oranges which, in a previous life, was a very popular pub called the Elephant and Castle.

7 Vegetable peelings:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for commenting on Nimby and it's progress. I may be a comparative youngster but I've done my research! Something else that I found out is that at one point, many years ago a circus visited Ashford via the Rail Link and part of the procession through the town included.... yep thats right, you guessed it; A procession of Elephants! Strange world indeed

Oliver Winconek

1:57 am  
Blogger Dave said...

I'm a world-renowned author too (copies of my book have been sold as far apart as India and the USA).

8:17 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Oliver, you're right, real elephants were indeed here - but they wouldn't stay. Nimby is proving more tenacious!

Dave, apologies. Of course you are, how could I be so remiss.

7:14 pm  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

Glad to hear the spirit of Nimby will return, even if the original is beyond redemption. What kind of weather have you been having in Kent?

A pub called the Elephant and Castle in Wolverhampton was - despite being listed - razed to the ground one night by developer bastards. They got away with it.

10:59 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

This last week has been very pleasant. The two before that was rather like living in a power shower with the light off.

12:25 am  
Blogger tom909 said...

I'm a world renowned author too! How much did she have to pay for you to put that neat little link to Amazon up there. Bloody hell, authors are two a penny these days!

10:31 am  
Blogger Richard said...

Yes Tom, there are millions of us. Bloody internet. If you have a link I will gladly publish it for absolutely nothing.

8:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home