Saturday, August 16, 2008

Rapid

As I don't have a telly I've not watched any of the the Olympics so far. I've listened to lots on the wireless though (apart from 5 minutes of the horse dancing or whatever it's called) and, as someone with an interest in sport (not a fanatic, just an interest) I'm missing it. Nicky Campbell just can't compete with the pictures. Yes, there are questions surrounding the ethics of allowing a nation with questionable notions of human rights and (of much more global importance as name me a country that doesn't abuse any section of its population in one form or another, such as allowing critically ill patients to die because they cost too much to keep alive) a laissez-faire attitude towards natural resources to stage such an event and I can only hope that more positives evolve from the event for everyone. Whatever your views, as a spectacle of human physical sporting endeavour, it can rarely be surpassed.

As I write this I'm round my friend Christopher's house on the pretext of editing his book (I am, honest) and watching the telly. And I've just seen the most extraordinary piece of athleticism ever. To watch the Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, to all intents and purposes skipping over the line in the 100 metres final and still obliterating the world record was quite astonishing. He wasn't even looking where he was going.

3 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Yes, it was impressive wasn't it? I just saw it on-line. Too busy with the cricket, rugby and a bit of soccer to watch the Olympics. If you want to see an example of the epitome of human athleticism, you should see me on the remote control.

3:39 pm  
Blogger Tennessee Jed said...

To watch some of the remarkable athletes is a real natural wonder.

Richard, we are all better off without the telly now the internet is so good we can feed ourselves what we are hungry for and not consume the junk they think we want.

5:18 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

My son kindly tuned the radio at my new house to Five Live, so I have been able to listen to the sport whilst decorating.

I may even have a TV again in four days time, and maybe even the internet again shortly (depending on BT) thereafter. But do I need them?

6:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home