Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Cheers - Coda

Having had further time to reflect on Liam Donaldson's ridiculous idea I've realised that I'm completely and utterly bemused by the logic of it. Here's some anecdotal evidence as to why it will not work. Anecdotal evidence gathered with my own eyes over the last day or so.

Being exquisitely broke I tend to walk everywhere. Walking everywhere is an eye opener, you really ought to try it. Only yesterday I watched someone walk down Market St here in Crewe who was so paralytic he didn't realise he was carrying his open can of Tennants upside down. Once pissed, money no object.

I try and save money everywhere. Their attitude to farmers may need a kick but in some respects Tesco are more than canny. Those giant "recycling machines" outside some of their stores can earn you money. I was initially sceptical as they are powered so the electricity has to come from somewhere. Our local Tesco has a wind turbine in the car park so there's a balance there that while it's not perfect, is on the right track. The machines also have a loyalty card swipe facility. Before you tip your cans and bottles down the chute, swipe your loyalty card - at the moment for every 2 aluminium cans you recycle, you receive a point. It's not much but it means that there are very few cans laying on the route I walk every day and I can afford the odd organic parsnip. As this is a two mile trek, I feel I am doing my "bit". Every little helps as they say. What I have noticed though is that a large proportion of the beer cans I pick up are half full. If you can afford to throw away beer you won't care about the price of it.

Legislators, or those who like to think they are, live in a different world. It's a perfect world where everything runs smoothly. Utopia. People who drink to oblivion do it in order to also inhabit a different world, one where they have no cares or worries. The last thing they are going to think about is how much it costs to get there. Unfortunately it's not the same Utopia as the one the movers and shakers are on and it never will be.

6 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

I'm with you. I walked across the room to post this comment.

4:22 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

You deserve a drink to compensate for the effort.

5:16 pm  
Blogger Zig said...

he also said the average adult drinks 120 bottles of wine a year. Isn't that less than 3 a week? Ha! First time in my life I've been above average.

6:44 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Someone somewhere is drinking the 115 bottles I'm not getting through.

12:11 pm  
Blogger KAZ said...

Good tip re the Tesco swipe thing. And those points really mutiply if you go on line and get vouchers for free meals and things.
Don't your shoes wear out a bit quickly?

5:58 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

You're a good person. I hope you know that. I should take a bag with me as I walk and pick up things as you do.

5:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home