Friday, April 30, 2010

It's all about me me me...

Today I have been mostly doing nothing, mainly because it has been tipping it down. I briefly shouted when Mr Jeremy Vine of the Wireless had that turd Griffin on. I was mildly pleased when the Jezza read out the final text that had been sent as I had been musing on the self-same thing myself: if you're so worried about immigration, why do you live in Wales? He really is such a profound knob.

Anyhow, this afternoon I pondered the meaning of the word "meme" as it appears to be enjoying a resurgence, largely due to the various tantrums of one the above-mentioned knob's heroes. I can't say I was even aware of its existence before the internet, when it became the label attached to those onerous "20 things you didn't really want to know about me but I'm going to bloody well tell you anyway" things that throw up every now and again. Intrigued, I did some research only to find that, apparently, it was actually me, albeit with a spelling mistake, who coined the phrase in the first place - only for that self-important lover-of-his-own-voice, Dawkins, to come along and thieve it. You live and learn.

5 Vegetable peelings:

Blogger Vicus Scurra said...

Griffin, Dawkins, Hitler, you've got them all today.

5:28 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

Pure concidence. I listened to the debate but there was nothing new in to upset me. I wrote a nice email to an old friend earlier and I did give someone a lift to the station in order to balance my blood pressure.

5:58 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

I knew I'd meet someone famous one day.

Not that we've ever actually met.

6:47 am  
Blogger Tim F said...

Rumour has it that Dawkins originally wanted to call the concept Godsawanker, until Romana off of Dr Who dissuaded him.

2:20 pm  
Blogger Richard said...

I had to go and look that one up.

I have nothing against atheists, I am theoretically one. Dawkins' brand of atheism though seems to be almost akin to a belief system in itself. He exhibits such a desperate need to be seen as one it's tempting to see him as finding the same kind of succour in his atheism as a believer does in faith. I say I'm technically an atheist as I don't believe in a god. But I don't believe in a need for one either. I don't have any questions that need answering.

4:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home